• ASB elections Friday 1/27

• Mrs. Pompey's Birthday On February 26

• Congratulations To Tino Cortez, Winner of The Fremont Spelling Bee

• School Binder Checks Every Thursday

• No School 1/16 Martin Luther King Jr Day

The student news site of Fremont Middle School

The Falcon

Filed under News

Visiting the Museum of Tolerance

On January 29, 2017 the Museum of Tolerance (MOT) was opened for the Free-for- All Day in Los Angeles,CA. According to Museum of Tolerance.com MOT is based on the understanding of the Holocaust in both historic and contemporary context. The museum also includes information about discrimination in our world today, also along the years.

The Museum of Tolerance first opened in February 1993 in Los Angeles California. Simon Wiesenthal who was a holocaust survivor and also a Nazi hunter funded the MOT with 50 million dollars. Before you go through the Holocaust exhibit there is a replica of Simon’s desk during the time he was hunting for Hitler’s helpers also known as Nazis.

There are three exhibits in total and the first one that MOT recommends to start at is on the third floor called Finding Our Families, Finding Ourselves. Also according to Museum of Tolerance.com that exhibit is about diversity within the personal histories of several noted Americans. Some famous celebrities narrated their stories including Carlos Santana, Dr. Maya Angelou, Billy Crystal, and Joe Torre. As you walk through that exhibit each one of them have their own section that explains their journey to success and share their family history.

Second floor is the Anne Frank exhibit which keeps Anne’s legacy alive with artifacts, pictures, and documents. While you wait to enter Anne’s exhibit you can look at artifacts and information about other children’s experiences written down about what the Nazi’s done to them. Anne’s exhibit shows her life story during her life in the “ Secret Annex”and all the events that led up to her arrest. They also have an exact replica of her diary and what she wrote in it. Some interesting facts that were mentioned about Anne were that she dreamed of going to Hollywood and loved the thought of being an actress, because of that MOT made sure that her exhibit and picture were facing the Hollywood sign. Another fact is just two weeks before the U.S let the Jews go from all the Nazi camps Anne died with her sister from a deadly illness. The only one who survived from her family was her dad and he is the one who published her diary for all to see her fascinating story.

The last floor is considered the most important because it explains and demonstrates everything you need to know about the Holocaust. You also get the honor of listening to a survivor. The name of the survivor that I was able to listen to was Elisabeth Mann. Elisabeth began just explaining her story and how she was the only one out of her family to survive from Auschwitz. Elisabeth also tells everyone the different struggles in her life after she was released from Auschwitz. When you arrive at the entrance of the Holocaust exhibit you get a card that has a name of a child/adult and what their life was. Along the way you find out more information about them. The exhibit shows artifacts, presentations, and a replica of the gas chambers that most of the Jews died in.

“My favorite part of the museum was having the honor of listening to a Holocaust survivor,” said Ashley.. Also when asked what exhibit you liked best Ashley responded with “ the exhibit I liked best was Anne Frank.”

“I would recommend visiting because it’s very inspiring and tells you a lot of information you wouldn’t usually know.”

Address of the MOT is 9786 W Pico Blvd, Los Angeles, CA. Museum of Tolerance usual hours are 10:00 am – 5:00 pm. Admission for adults is $15.50, children $11.50, and seniors $12.50.