The Falcon

• Happy Random Acts of Kindness week

• Congratulations Ashton Legaspi, Spelling Bee winner!

• Monday, Mar. 26 - Spring Break

• Monday, Feb.19 - President's Day Holiday

• Friday, Feb.16 - President's Day Holiday

A Longer Winter Break

A motorists on Highway 101 watches flames from the Thomas fire leap above the roadway north of Ventura, Calif., on Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2017.  As many as five fires have closed highways, schools and museums, shut down production of TV series and cast a hazardous haze over the region. About 200,000 people were under evacuation orders. No deaths and only a few injuries were reported. (AP Photo/Noah Berger)

A motorists on Highway 101 watches flames from the Thomas fire leap above the roadway north of Ventura, Calif., on Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2017. As many as five fires have closed highways, schools and museums, shut down production of TV series and cast a hazardous haze over the region. About 200,000 people were under evacuation orders. No deaths and only a few injuries were reported. (AP Photo/Noah Berger)

AccuWeather.com

AccuWeather.com

Oxnard, Ca- Students and teachers in Oxnard Elementary District Schools had a longer winter break than they would have expected due to the effects of the Thomas fire.

The Thomas fire caused many teachers in the district to evacuate their homes. Along with less teachers being able to work, the air quality was not the best because of the smoke. As a result, the district canceled school on December 5-8 and December 13-15.

Some students liked having a longer winter break. Students liked that they could catch up on work, have more free time, and spend time with family and friends. Natania said, “School stresses me out and being able to get away from all that, cools down things a bit.”

Other students didn’t enjoy the longer break. This is because they didn’t have anything to do, forgot what they were learning in school, and would have less time to learn when they got back. Maritza stated, “I’d rather have three weeks of break, because you get use to not going to school, and then you don’t want to go back.”

A lot of teachers in the district were affected by the fire including Ms. Decile. The Thomas fire did affect her and she was evacuated from her home for five days. Ms. Decile is now back in her home but there is still smoke damage and the ashes are still everywhere. She said, “I was happy that I didn’t have to come in because I was so worried the days I was evacuated if I would have a home when I came back.”

In the month of December, students only went to school for a total of four days.