The Falcon

• Happy Random Acts of Kindness week

• Congratulations Ashton Legaspi, Spelling Bee winner!

• Monday, Mar. 26 - Spring Break

• Monday, Feb.19 - President's Day Holiday

• Friday, Feb.16 - President's Day Holiday

Wonder: Book or Movie?

WordPress.com

Grace Luna

Based on the beloved novel by R.J Palacio, comes the movie “Wonder.” August, or Auggie Pullman, is a 10-year old living in New York City with a facial deformity. August has mandibulofacial dysostosis, or what’s more commonly known as Treacher Collins Syndrome. Due to this, it’s tough for Auggie to make new friends. He lives with his parents, his older sister Via, and his dog Daisy. Auggie has been homeschooled up until the fifth grade, but his parents decide that it’s time for him to go to a real school, Beecher Prep. August is then introduced to 3 kids (Jack, Julian, and Charlotte) who are advised to be his friends by the Principal, Mr. Tushman.

The book versus the movie battle typically isn’t a fair fight. I for one think and feel like the book was better. Many wanted to see the movie to finally see what August, or Auggie, Pullman looked like. The big reveal was a bit underwhelming if you’ve read the book. The novel itself says on the first page,  “I won’t describe what I look like. Whatever you’re thinking, it’s probably worse,” Auggie explains. This gives you a more drastic type of image, yet indescribable one in a sense. It’s not until page 88 when Auggie’s older sister, Via, gives some more descriptive specifics about Auggie’s face such as his eyelids “slant downward at an extreme angle” or that he has  “tiny cauliflower-shaped ears.”

The novel also shows August’s belittlement of himself  and his vulnerability through his thoughts. The movie of course does this with words, but I find it’s more impactful through his mind. Another thing I’d like to point out is that the movie hardly showed a significant character in the book, Summer. Summer played a major part in the novel since she was Auggie’s first friend, besides Jack, who was sort of forced into being his friend unlike Summer. Lastly, the book goes at a slower pace. The film seemed far too rushed. The book takes you through August’s days at school slowly, and focusing on how he feels and thinks rather than what he does. You get the visual aspect in the movie, but you’d be able to experience more empathy with the novel. Although I prefer the book, I applaud the movie for doing a wonderful job of showing the major picture of the novel, to choose kind.